Dr. Special K

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A Biopsychosocial History

Yesterday, we second year medical students were charged with the time-consuming task of presenting a patient's case. Since we have no patients, we were forced to either (a) find a case presentation in a prestigous medical journal or (b) make one up.

I chose option (c) - use a case presented on a TV show, especially an MD program (medical drama).

I started my presentation as such:
Dr. Gregory House is a 44 year old white male who presented to the Emergency Department with acute onset right upper leg pain, for which he was given IM morphine which was non-curative but alleviated symptoms for several hours.

I apparently was not the only wise-ass to show up on Monday. Other reported presentations included patients from at least three other episodes of House, that pregnant dude from Grey's Anatomy, and I'm pretty sure the angry lesbian doctor from ER was in there somewhere. [sidenote: why are lesbians on TV always so angry? I think they should be sweet and caring and really really hot. I mean, yeah maybe that's not accurate, but you gotta give the people what they want!]

Currently, I'm in a bit of a pickle in school. I'm spending the absolute minimum amount of time at it to maintain an average grade. This is a lifelong habit for me, and one that will no doubt curse me once I decide to apply for anything. I realize, theoretically, that I should embrace my medical education with the same fervent work ethic that I would embrace a profession, but then again, the only full-time job I've ever had required very very little of me, and I still did it badly. It makes me wonder if those who are good at jobs are good at jobs regardless of the skill required, and those that are bad at jobs are bad at jobs regardless of how much special interest they have in the job itself. Does your interest really define your success in a profession?

I'm really very hungry at the moment, and I'm reminded that no matter how many idealogical questions you'd like to answer so as to define your life and get a good grasp on your "self image", you really have to first cater to your physical needs. And in this I also include sex. So, can we assume that I only blog on here after receiving at least some defining sexual revelations?

Yes, you can go ahead and assume that. You can also assume that I only blog on here when I'm hungry, half-naked, and tired of studying. Generalizations maybe, but aren't they accurate thus far?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home