Dr. Special K

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Pursued, the Pursuing, the Busy, and the Tired

I am beginning to wonder about the possibilities outside of those which have preoccupied my future for the past 27 years.

I was watching Elizabethtown tonight, and in my opinion this is a movie that does a lot of things right but the things it does wrong make it a bad movie and if you just took out Susan Sarandon and that whole part where the bird catches on fire it would be good, and so I was thinking about how Orlandon Bloom and Kirsten Dunst end up in each other's lives. It's somewhat contrived, don't you think?

"You keep trying to break up with me, and we're not even together."

Anyway, it may all be a bit of an opera but at least the music that goes along with it is great. Seriously fantastic soundtrack to all of that bad Kentucky Lou-uh-vull accenture and Dark Obvious Comedy. And that is how life is supposed to be.

I was thinking about my soundtrack today. It's mostly organic and acoustic and soulful, I hope, and I hope it contains some depth to it as well, something rooted in the ground and things that grow.

"I want you to get into the deep, beautiful melancholy of everything that's happened."

So I'm taking a trip this next week back to Austin, back to the place that makes me feel like home, even if it's not where I was born. I'm going back to hear some music, to revel in the meandering lyricism of the rolling Texas hill country, to reinvigorate some vision of my future that encompasses my career and other people and a devastating loneliness that is beaten back at every turn by the powerful swelling force of an unfailing unflinching love (even if that love is only ever known as a potential).

So I'm looking forward to it, because at the very least it will be good to feel some poetry back in my soul again, to connect to the stars and the sky and the rolling earth. Maybe I can carry some of that back with me to New York, and carry some bit of an old future, newly glimpsed.

1 Comments:

At 5:34 AM, Blogger Restless Med Student said...

Hi Special K,

Would you mind offering one or two pointers on Step 1? It sounds like you did well on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home