Dr. Special K

Monday, May 14, 2012

Step 3

So I've been on an off-service rotation the past week which consisted of brief stints shadowing dentists. So at the last minute I registered to take Step 3 10 days ago. I took the test today (actually COMLEX level III), and people are right. It's almost entirely pointless to study for that test. There are questions on that test where there is literally no evidence-based answer (ie, what's the best symptomatic treatment for AIDS dementia?). I hope I passed, but I don't know what else I might have done differently, save for more practice questions, of which I only did about 400 (exactly the number on the test). Probably should have done about 1200 like I did for Step 2.

So anyway, I took the test in New Jersey as that was the only testing center around that had any availability. After I finished the test, I walked down to my car and was surprised to find the engine never really caught on. Just kept turning over. And over. And over. In a New Jersey testing center parking lot.

Now my car has been giving me warning signals for a while. CHECK ENGINE SOON. But how soon is "SOON"? And anyway I know what the problem is - my lack of several thousand dollars in my savings account. An amount which would do much to recuperate my car, and maybe even stop it from smelling like gasoline every time I open the sunroof. But anyway, all that is to say that you can know what the problem is, you can be expecting it to rear its head at any time, you can even be mentally prepared for its effects. Up until that time when it finally abandons you when you need it, right after everything was running smoothly. Right after your lunch-break trip to McDonald's for a McFlurry to celebrate. Right after your 8 hour examination on misery and its effects. You can be prepared for the problems, up until the point when they're actually problematic.

Now thank God. Eventually the Creator of Heaven and Earth, the Messiah of the covenant, the Savior of the world heard my prayer and my car started up again and got me back to the Hospital where it resides in semi-permanent retirement (either that or it just happened to catch right at that point, but let's not take anything away from divine intervention if we don't have to). But still, the point was not lost on me.

I know the problem. I even think I know the solution. The question is whether I'm willing to invest the time and money and trouble it takes to fix this heap up. Or if I should just cash in on my soon-to-come job prospects and buy a newer, prettier, more dependable car, like a Kia Soul.

It's a metaphor, you see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home